Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wilmar cooks macaroni and cheese

This is an old episode, but I forgot to make a write-up. So... here it is (almost 2 years later)!



16 oz. dry cellentani (or elbow macaroni)
8 oz. grated sharp white Cheddar cheese
8 oz. grated Fontina cheese
butter
all-purpose flour
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 cup reduced-fat milk
panko flakes
grated parmesan cheese
cayenne powder

preheat oven at 375F.

cheese sauce:
in the meanwhile, get an oven-safe ceramic oven (those Le Creuset ones are bomb) and get some heat on it. for the roux melt 1-2 tbsp butter and mix with equal part of flour. cook the roux down until the raw flour smell is gone, but not to the point where it starts getting dark brown. add milk and cream and bring the heat up to almost bubbling. at this point introduce the cheese little by little until it is all incorporated. you can save a little grated cheese for the panko topping if you wish. add cayenne to taste.

noodles:
bring some water to a boil (enough for the noodles). cook the noodles in boiling water 1-2 minutes LESS than what the box indicates - this way, the noodles won't be overcooked as it bakes in the oven.

putting it all together:
drain noodles and add the noodles to the cheese sauce, getting everything well-incorporated. top with a crust mixture of melted butter, panko flakes, grated parmesan, and any leftover cheese you didn't add to the sauce. stick it in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the topping gets nice and brown.

remove from oven, let it cool down, and enjoy!



Sorry I haven't been keeping up. It's been almost two years since I've last visited my Wilmar Cooks account. I recently checked my inbox on YouTube and noticed that people have really been trying out my stuff! I'm flattered. Additionally, last year I got a message from GMA TV in the Philippines. Apparently they wanted to air my material, but I never got the message. Woops! Serves me right to ignore my viewers...

Anyways, I'm back, and I have a few ideas in mind for some episodes. I think the most important thing is that I get some new material on my channel. Thanks everyone for watching!

No comments: