Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wilmar cooks kare-kare



ox tails
beef for stew
sitaw (Chinese long beans)
talong (eggplant)
pestay (baby bok choy)
bawang (garlic)
rice flour
atsuete (annatto)
peanut butter
salt and pepper

Kare-kare is a Filipino stew that consists of vegetables, beef ox tail, and a peanut sauce. My version is very bare-bones, as I have not included some regular ingredients like beef tripe, puso ng saging (banana blossom), or bagoong (shrimp paste). Nonetheless, I think that my version has some merit in that I do not use a pre-packaged flavoring packet, but instead roast my own rice flour and add atsuete (anatto) for thickening, color, and flavoring.

pressure cook ox tails and beef in seasoned water. toast rice flour. add peanut butter and some beef stock to slowly incorporate. bring peanut butter mixture to the stock pot. add vegetables and cook until tender.

No comments: