Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Wilmar cooks pork belly sisig



5 lbs. pork belly
1 bulb garlic
1 ginger rhizome
1 to 2 medium onions
5 or more serrano chilis
salt
black pepper
bay leaves
2 lemons
butter

Fill pot of pork belly with water. Season water with salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Boil for 45-60 minutes or until tender. Remove from water and pat dry. Mince garlic and ginger and set aside in one container. Chop onions and set aside in separate container. Chop chilis and set aside in separate container.

Prepare grill (charcoal or gas). Grill pork belly pieces on all sides until they are crispy. Remove from grill, let rest for a few minutes, then chop up in small pieces and put in a large bowl. Add onions (save some onions for later) and chilis. Squeeze in the juice of two lemons and mix well, then let sit covered for about 30 minutes.

Prepare cast-iron griddle. Working in batches, lay down a pad of butter, then soften about a tablespoon of the minced garlic and ginger on the griddle. Add about 1 lb. of the sisig mixture onto the griddle and don't move it for a few minutes to get the bottom crispy. You can serve straight from the griddle or set aside in a container, squeezing some lemon juice prior to serving.

The whole process took me maybe 4 hours.



I have never made sisig before in my life, so if there's something I'm missing, let me know. This is my first attempt at it, and boy was it hard work!

Our sisig turned out just mildly spicy and mildly sour. If I were to try this again, I'd go for 6 or 7 Serrano chilis per 5 pounds of pork belly. Also, I'd use the juice of 2 lemons, PLUS add some vinegar too to make it more tangy. Otherwise, I was pretty pleased with the outcome. It was remarkably porky!

This is the third episode in a row that I've used pork. I think I have a problem...

No comments: